[My provider use a very restrictive SPAM filter; please give therefore clear information in the 'subject' field. Mails with 'Hi' or 'Hello' in the subject line may get delayed or lost. Please avoid mails which have only an attachment without any message. Please, please, please do not send you big fat papers as PDF files without request. I appreciate very much to be updated about your research but my standard mail account is limited in size and you mail may congest the account completely. ]
UNAM, Instituto de Geología
H. Loeser (ERNO)
Circuito de la investigación cientifica
Ciudad Universitaria, Del. Coyoacán
04510 D.F., Mexico
Postal address in Germany : please ask!
- Post-Palaeozoic coral taxonomy, systematics, evolution, distribution, diversity, and biostratigraphy
- Database application and data visualization in palaeontology
- Taxonomy and biostratigraphy of nerineid gastropods (not much progress now because of too many coral faunas sent to me)
- Taxonomy of Early Cretaceous Orbitolinid Foraminifera (Data base)
- Cretaceous ... regional geology, palaeontology, stratigraphy and facies
- Description of Mesozoic/Cenozoic coral faunas from here, there and everywhere
- Taxonomic revision of various Cretaceous coral families down to the genus level
- Taxonomic revision of various Cretaceous coral genera down to the species level
Publications in progress
Publications on Cretaceous coral faunas and revisions of coral families/genera from all over the world are always in preparation, submitted and in press. These are the current topics I am working on:
- Barremian/Aptian/Albian coral faunas from Mexico (Sonora, Puebla, Baja California).
- Various coral faunas reaching from the Berriasian to Coniacian of Spain. Much interesting and new material.
- Late Jurassic and early Late Cretaceous from Portugal.
- Revision of type material from collections in Barcelona (MGSB, MGB) are published step by step.
- Late Cretaceous of Southern France. Localities known for more than 150 years, but the coral faunas are practically unknown.
- Late Cretaceous / Eocene coral faunas of Costa Rica.
- Albian/Cenomanian coral faunas world-wide, mainly France, Germany, Mexico, Spain, USA.
- Hauterivian coral fauna of the Paris Basin (France). Yes, I started again.
- Long-term projects: I started in 2009 and 2011 two projects revising big, well known and important Mesozoic coral faunas, in close cooperation with colleagues from Germany. Estimate duration will be five to ten years, but we are making good progress.
- Long-long-term project: Systematic revision of the Cretaceous coral genera, this will be the fourth (and last) volume of the Catalogue of Cretaceous Corals (Systematic part). I am constantly working on it and try to finish at least 2% per month (see the progress). So, theoretically, I should be done in ten months.
People often ask me whether I can determine coral samples for them. At least I can try. Since the amount of the samples increased in the last years, I kindly ask you to lookup these instructions. - Other persons ask me whether we can publish a coral fauna together. Of course we can. Please lookup the procedure.
Publications (published or in press)
Do not hesitate to ask for reprints and/or PDFs. I do not send anymore reprints automatically and I do not send PDFs as well. You have to ask.
taxonomic database system for palaeontologists (a new version 2.3.3 is envisaged)
- PalCol – PaleoTax extension for palaeontological collections and
- PaleoTax/Map – PaleoTax GIS extension
- PaleoTax/Measure – program to measure two dimensional fossils (and count things like septa or pores or leafs) and calculate average, standard deviation, first interval etc. - A new version 1.3 was released in November 2013 including new manual.
- Databasing and statistics in geosciences
- Invertebrate palaeontology
- Micropalaeontology and microfacies
- Palaeoecology and taphonomy
- Base de datos y geoestadística
- Paleontología de invertebrados
- Micropaleontología y ambiente
- Paleoecología y tafonomía
List of students - who have worked / are working with me, and on what.
I work with students (B.S., M.S., PhD) on the following topics
Students need to come to Hermosillo, even if only a short time.
- Fossil and extant coral taxonomy
- Invertebrate palaeontology and micropalaeontology
- Regional geology
- Statistics in biology, palaeontology and geology
Trabajo con estudiantes (Licenciatura, Maestría, Doctorado) en los campos siguentes
Foráneos tienen que venir a Hermosillo, al menos un tiempo.
- Taxonomía de corales fósiles y recientes
- Paleontología de invertebrados y micropaleontología
- Geología regional,
- Estadística en biología, paleontología y geología
Informaciones para estudiantes (estancia de investigación, práctica profesional, servicio social, tesis).
- Born in Dresden ([former East-]Germany)
- Diplôme de Recherches Doctorales (Diplôme de 3ème cycle) Université Nancy (1994)
- Ph.D. Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (1999)
- Inv.Tit. B T.C., Inv.Nac. II (S.N.I.)
- Lives in Hermosillo, Col. Valle Verde
- Languages : Deutsch, English, Español,
Français, porusski, nihon-go.
Where we can probably see next time ...
- 4th International Palaeontological Congress 28 September - 3 October 2014 in Mendoza, Argentina.
- 12th International Congress on Fossil Cnidaria and Sponges 8-12 February 2015 in Muscat, Oman.
- ... in any case in the backyard of my house in Hermosillo (there is always cold beer).
[20 March 2014]
Thanks to Matthias for taking a picture in the Laguna Salada, and to an unnamed waiter at the Cantina El Barrilito.