[The provider gmx.net uses a very restrictive SPAM filter; please give therefore clear information in the 'subject' field. Mails with 'Hi' or 'Hello' in the subject line may get delayed or lost. Please avoid mails which have only an attachment without any message. Please, please, please do not send your big fat papers as PDF files without request. I appreciate very much to be updated about your research but the mail account is limited in size and your mail may congest the account completely. ]
Postal address (books, samples) : please ask!
- Post-Palaeozoic coral taxonomy, systematics, evolution, distribution, diversity, and biostratigraphy
- Database application and data visualization in palaeontology
- Taxonomy and biostratigraphy of nerineid gastropods (not much progress because of too many coral faunas sent to me)
- Taxonomy of Early Cretaceous Orbitolinid Foraminifera (Data base)
- Cretaceous ... regional geology, palaeontology, stratigraphy and facies
- Description of Mesozoic/Cenozoic coral faunas from here, there and everywhere
- Taxonomic revision of various Cretaceous coral families down to the genus level
- Taxonomic revision of various Cretaceous coral genera down to the species level
Works in progress
Publications on Cretaceous coral faunas and revisions of coral families/genera from all over the world are always in preparation, submitted and in press. These are the topics I am currently working on:
- There are various on-going long-term projects revising large, well known and important Mesozoic coral faunas, all in close cooperation with colleagues from Europe. Estimated duration will be five to ten years, but we are making good progress.
- In June 2018, the second edition of my book on Jurassic and Cretaceous corals (in German) was published. Based on the revision I published in 2016, the systematic part was profoundly revised.
- In summer 2019, the revision of the corals of the area of Rußbach/Gosau in Austria (Coniacian/Santonian) will be published. This will be a 450 pages book with approximately 1200 figures encompassing the description and illustration of 350 coral species (more information about the project in German at http://www.korallen-kreide.de). Most species will be illustrated using thin sections and morphometric data will be provided (new for that area). There will be an abridged version in the English language as PDF free of cost.
- The Hauterivian coral fauna of the Paris Basin (France) is envisaged as a monographic work. Large "monolithic" books became more important to me during the last years.
- Albian/Cenomanian coral faunas world-wide, mainly France, Germany, Mexico, Spain (results of the UNAM DGAPA projekt IN101111).
- Early Cretaceous coral faunas from Mexico (Sonora, Puebla, Baja California, ?Oaxaca). Partly carried out by my students.
- Various coral faunas reaching from the Berriasian to Cenomanian of Spain. Much interesting and new material.
- Late Jurassic and early Late Cretaceous from Portugal.
- Revision of type material from the MGSB collection in Barcelona is published step by step.
- Late Cretaceous to Oligocene coral faunas of Costa Rica.
- Late Jurassic corals from Hungary (Project Comparative study of Late Jurassic faunas from the Bakony Mts: their palaeobiology and bearing on the Jurassic/Cretaceous boundary supported by the Hungarian National Research, Development and Innovation office)
People often ask me whether I can determine coral samples for them. At least I can try. Since the amount of the samples increased in the last years, I kindly ask you to lookup these instructions. - Other persons ask me whether we can publish a coral fauna together. Of course we can. Please lookup the procedure.
Publications (published or in press)
Do not hesitate to ask for reprints and/or PDFs. I do not send anymore reprints automatically and I do not send PDFs as well. You have to ask. PDFs of free articles are linked in the above pages.
PaleoTax/Database – database to record taxonomic, geographic, stratigraphic data. A new version (May, 31, 2018) is available.
- PalCol – application for palaeontological collections
- PaleoTax/Map – PaleoTax GIS extension to plot localities or taxa
- PaleoTax/Graph – PaleoTax Graphic extension to visualize results of data analysis.
- PaleoTax/Measure – program to measure two dimensional fossils (and count things like septa or pores or leafs) and calculate average, standard deviation, first interval etc. - Current version is 1.6 and was released in March 2018 including a new manual. There is also a manual in the German language for version 1.6.
- Databasing and statistics in geosciences
- Invertebrate palaeontology
- Micropalaeontology and microfacies
- Palaeoecology and taphonomy
NEW: Curso corto (25h) 10-14 Junio 2019 en la Facultad de Ciencias en la CDMX – Metodología de investigación en paleontología.
- Base de datos y geoestadística
- Paleontología de invertebrados
- Micropaleontología y ambiente
- Paleoecología y tafonomía
List of students - who have worked / are working with me, and on what.
I work with students (B.S., M.S., PhD) on the following topics
Students need to come to Hermosillo, even if only a short time.
- Fossil and extant coral taxonomy
- Invertebrate palaeontology and micropalaeontology
- Regional geology
- Statistics in biology, palaeontology and geology
Trabajo con estudiantes (Licenciatura, Maestría, Doctorado) en los campos siguentes
Foráneos tienen que venir a Hermosillo, al menos un tiempo.
- Taxonomía de corales fósiles y recientes
- Paleontología de invertebrados y micropaleontología
- Geología regional,
- Estadística en biología, paleontología y geología
Informaciones para estudiantes (estancia de investigación, práctica profesional, servicio social, tesis).
- Born in Dresden ([former East-]Germany)
- Diplôme de Recherches Doctorales (Diplôme de 3ème cycle) Université Nancy (1994)
- Ph.D. Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (1999)
- Inv.Tit. B T.C., Inv.Nac. II (S.N.I.)
- Lives in Hermosillo, Col. Valle Verde
- Research Fellow, Non-vertebrate Paleontology Lab, University of Texas
- Member of the editorial boards of various journals
- Languages : Deutsch, English, Español,
Français, porusski, nihon-go.
Where we can probably see next time ...
- XVI Congreso Nacional de Paleontología (Sociedad Mexicana de Paleontología/Universidad Autónoma de Chihuahua) Ciudad de Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico, 30 September - 4 October 2019
- ... in the backyard of my house in Hermosillo (there is always cold beer).
[1 April 2019]
Thanks to Heidi for taking a picture in the Lichtentanne Sailor's home, and to an unnamed waiter at the El Barrilito pub, Guanajuato.