[The provider gmx.net uses a very restrictive SPAM filter; please give therefore clear information in the 'subject' field. Mails with 'Hi' or 'Hello' in the subject line may get delayed or lost. Please avoid mails which have only an attachment without any message. Please, please, please do not send your big fat papers as PDF files without request. I appreciate very much to be updated about your research but the mail account is limited in size and your mail may congest the account completely. ]
UNAM, Instituto de Geología
H. Loeser (ERNO)
Circuito de la investigación cientifica
Ciudad Universitaria, Del. Coyoacán
04510 D.F., Mexico
Postal address in Germany : please ask!
- Post-Palaeozoic coral taxonomy, systematics, evolution, distribution, diversity, and biostratigraphy
- Database application and data visualization in palaeontology
- Taxonomy and biostratigraphy of nerineid gastropods (not much progress now because of too many coral faunas sent to me)
- Taxonomy of Early Cretaceous Orbitolinid Foraminifera (Data base)
- Cretaceous ... regional geology, palaeontology, stratigraphy and facies
- Description of Mesozoic/Cenozoic coral faunas from here, there and everywhere
- Taxonomic revision of various Cretaceous coral families down to the genus level
- Taxonomic revision of various Cretaceous coral genera down to the species level
Publications in progress
Publications on Cretaceous coral faunas and revisions of coral families/genera from all over the world are always in preparation, submitted and in press. These are the current topics I am working on:
- There are various on-going long-term projects revising large, well known and important Mesozoic coral faunas, all in close cooperation with colleagues from Europe. Estimated duration will be five to ten years, but we are making good progress.
- Upcoming is the revision of the corals of the area of Rußbach/Gosau in Austria (Santonian). This will be a 400 pages book with more than 700 figures encompassing the description of approximately 350 coral species. Most species will be illustrated using thin sections (new for that area). The publication of the book is envisaged for summer 2018.
- The Hauterivian coral fauna of the Paris Basin (France) is envisaged as a monographic work. Large "monolithic" books became more important to me during the last years.
- Albian/Cenomanian coral faunas world-wide, mainly France, Germany, Mexico, Spain (results of the UNAM DGAPA projekt IN101111).
- Barremian/Aptian/Albian coral faunas from Mexico (Sonora, Puebla, Baja California). Partly carried out by my students.
- Various coral faunas reaching from the Berriasian to Cenomanian of Spain. Much interesting and new material.
- Late Jurassic and early Late Cretaceous from Portugal.
- Revision of type material from collections in Barcelona (MGSB, MGB) are published step by step.
- Late Cretaceous to Eocene coral faunas of Costa Rica.
People often ask me whether I can determine coral samples for them. At least I can try. Since the amount of the samples increased in the last years, I kindly ask you to lookup these instructions. - Other persons ask me whether we can publish a coral fauna together. Of course we can. Please lookup the procedure.
Publications (published or in press)
Do not hesitate to ask for reprints and/or PDFs. I do not send anymore reprints automatically and I do not send PDFs as well. You have to ask.
A short course will be held during the XV Congreso Nacional de Paleontología, San Luis Potosí, Mexico – June, 26-30, 2017
- PalCol – application for palaeontological collections
- PaleoTax/Map – PaleoTax GIS extension
- PaleoTax/Graph – PaleoTax Graphic extension
- PaleoTax/Measure – program to measure two dimensional fossils (and count things like septa or pores or leafs) and calculate average, standard deviation, first interval etc. - Current version is 1.5 and was released in May 2015 including a new manual.
A short course on PaleoTax will be held during the XV Congreso Nacional de Paleontología, San Luis Potosí, Mexico – June, 26-30, 2017.
- Databasing and statistics in geosciences
- Invertebrate palaeontology
- Micropalaeontology and microfacies
- Palaeoecology and taphonomy
Un curso corto sobre PaleoTax se llevará a cabo durante el XV Congreso Nacional de Paleontología, San Luis Potosí, Mexico – June, 26-30, 2017
- Base de datos y geoestadística
- Paleontología de invertebrados
- Micropaleontología y ambiente
- Paleoecología y tafonomía
List of students - who have worked / are working with me, and on what.
I work with students (B.S., M.S., PhD) on the following topics
Students need to come to Hermosillo, even if only a short time.
- Fossil and extant coral taxonomy
- Invertebrate palaeontology and micropalaeontology
- Regional geology
- Statistics in biology, palaeontology and geology
Trabajo con estudiantes (Licenciatura, Maestría, Doctorado) en los campos siguentes
Foráneos tienen que venir a Hermosillo, al menos un tiempo.
- Taxonomía de corales fósiles y recientes
- Paleontología de invertebrados y micropaleontología
- Geología regional,
- Estadística en biología, paleontología y geología
Informaciones para estudiantes (estancia de investigación, práctica profesional, servicio social, tesis).
- Born in Dresden ([former East-]Germany)
- Diplôme de Recherches Doctorales (Diplôme de 3ème cycle) Université Nancy (1994)
- Ph.D. Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (1999)
- Inv.Tit. B T.C., Inv.Nac. II (S.N.I.)
- Lives in Hermosillo, Col. Valle Verde
- Research Fellow, Non-vertebrate Paleontology Lab, University of Texas
- Member of the editorial boards of various journals
- Languages : Deutsch, English, Español,
Français, porusski, nihon-go.
Where we can probably see next time ...
[20 June 2017]
Thanks to Uli Schu for taking a picture in the Randobach, and to an unnamed waiter at the El Barrilito pub, Guanajuato.